Pages

Sunday 18 January 2015

Week 2, A week of all weathers!

Week Commencing 12th January

That's week 2 complete of marathon training. Its been a bit of a stormy week of all weathers. I've ran in snow, ice, wind, rain, sleet and a little bit of sunshine. At the time of writing this I've just got in from a 14 mile long run with Keedy. A good run out in the snow to Houghton Le Side and back. When we first set off it was bitterly cold after a hard frost though the night to put the layers on today. Within minutes into the run the snow started coming down. I like this out and back route as the majority of it is all uphill for the first half to it makes you work hard. I managed to pick up the pace a little coming back.
So 2 weeks in and 40.8 mile ran this week. Miles going up slowly. Last thing I want is a repeat of last year. Its been a very hard week but I'm starting to feel my fitness levels return. I've lost 2 lbs this week which keeps me well on par for my target loss. 5 Lbs lost in total now. I expected the first 2 weeks to be fairly easy. It will get harder now and will just be case of knocking chips off. Still plenty of tweaks to do with my nutrition though. The most important thing for me that's made an impact is no booze and takeaways for a while. In fact I've not drank since Christmas Day making that 3 and half weeks with no booze. Not had a takeaway since New Years Day either which is brilliant for me. I do love my takeaways especially after a long run on a Sunday but planning ahead with meals now to stop any temptation. I've cut right down on the chocolate but I won't cut this out completely. You do need a treat now and again. But must stay focussed as there is a long way to go yet with the training and weight loss.
Back onto this week, kicked things off with the usual Monday evening recovery run. Tuesday was speed which consisted 16 x 200m reps over the track. Reps nice and controlled at 40-45 seconds but was made difficult towards the end when the wind and snow picked up. Wednesday I ran a 7 mile medium long run. The wind was up and it was very cold. Had the wind blowing rain and sleet in my face for some of it, was awful! Was glad to get that one out of the way. Thursday was a marathon scheduled "marathon paced" run. Again the wind ruined this. Set off out ok but coming back from Sadberge trying for sub 7 minute pace against gale force winds it just wasn't happening! The effort was there though and I got out that's the main thing. Rest night Friday. Saturday I was joined by Keedy for a progressive paced run. Felt great on this run. Weather I was starting to feel fit again, I ran on strong coffee, it was running during daylight? I don;t know but I felt great. I was running into the 6:30's by the end of the run so was pleased. Keedy had a good one as well hanging in there not far behind. Then onto today's 14 mile which I've already mentioned. So all in all a good week, just hard wacking out these sessions on the cold horrible dark nights. Next week

Monday - 5 mile recovery @ 8:06 pace
Tuesday - Speed - 16 x 200m intervals on track targeting around 45 seconds. 4.7 mile covered
Wednesday - 7 mile steady @ 8:06 pace
Thursday - 5 mile with 3 mile @ attempted MP (6:56-7:32)
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Progressive pace run starting @ 7:52 working down to 6:35 pace
Sunday - 14 mile long run @ 7:59 pace

This weeks weigh in : 179.5 Lbs (Starting weight 184.5 Lbs/Target weight 160 Lbs)

Lost so far since 3rd January: 5 lbs 

Weekly mileage - 40.8





Week conclusion

So all in all a good week, just hard wacking out these sessions on the cold horrible dark nights. I've lost 2lbs putting me ahead of my 1.5 weekly target loss. Starting to feel slightly better fitness wise. No where near race fit yet mind. Next week will see me run around 46 mile. weather forecast at time of writing this its set to be a very cold one to more cold dark nights to come. 


Why I didn't run the Brass Monkey?
For one I did not make the effort in scrapping over a place at 6am on the morning when entries first went onsale. I know some had a smooth transaction but there again some lost out. So my own doing there. I have been offered a place but had a think and I'm no where near in race shape yet. I also feel its too early in the marathon training to be "racing" just yet. I ran this last year and this was the race where I torn my calf. Attempting the race at marathon pace on the back end of a very high miles week. I paid the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment