Pages

Sunday 4 January 2015

Pre Marathon Training Update

Marathon training starts tomorrow!


Virgin Money London Marathon 2015 - The Magic Sub 3 #vmlm2015 #vlm2015 #vlm #sub3


The final straight along The Mall



The long story starts here. In December 2012 I entered the 2013 Marathon of the North with a sub 3 hour target. On Monday 7th January last year I started  a 16 week sub 3 hour specific training schedule. The training would consist of the usual marathon training structure I have followed in previous years which has never failed me for me to obtain my targets. Just more intensity and mileage this time round. In my opinion I ran a good 16 weeks of training. I went into this race strong, fit and in good shape to attempt the sub 3. Race day came and the conditions were far from ideal in Sunderland to run a fast marathon but this did not stop me attempting it. A very blustery and overcast morning greeted me on the start line. The course was also not ideal for a fast time with some cheeky undulations, plenty of twists and some council estates! More about this race in my race reviews section. Anyway, the moral of the story is I failed to finish in under 3 hours. Marathon of the North was completed in 3 hours & 3 minutes (03:03:29). Naturally disappointed of course but relieved to have ran a PB and given the conditions that day I was pleased to have ran 03:03. I know its easy me saying this now as I am typing this but had the weather conditions been perfect and a faster course I honestly believe I was in good enough shape to run under 3 hours that day but I never so the challenge goes on. Just to add to that disappointment, days later it was announced the Marathon of the North course was found to be 264 metres short therefore the time could not be officially used as a PB nor a best known performance for my 'Power of 10' profile. The time sits on there but simply down as a SHORTMar meaning "Short Marathon".  At the time all I could think was 16 weeks of training for ***k all!

Marathon of The North

4 weeks later was the Edinburgh Marathon. I had entered this as a back up and had this silly idea in my head that maybe I could reattempt the sub 3. I had 4 weeks to recover from Marathon of the North and with Edinburgh being a fast course surely this was possible? Well I was to find this out the hard way. Felt great on the day. Conditions were a little muggy but nothing like previous years where there has been heatwaves experienced on race day. Set off at marathon pace for around 3 hours and I was absolutely hanging at the halfway point. At this point the demons inside my head took over. I knew it was not going to happen and I knew a friend (Paul Keedy) was gunning for sub 4 so at mile 15 I decided to start walking. I was not injured like the majority of runners that past me thought I was. I just wanted Paul to catch me up so I could accompany him in for his sub 4 which he easily achieved. Again on finishing this I was disappointed. I met back up with Charlotte at the reunion area and word was round that I was struggling on this race. I remember thinking what I was going to post on Facebook to let friends and family know how I got on. I was hesitating but I am not one for just "sing when you win" type of thing. I remember a lot of kind comments coming in particulary for assisting Paul in. But the bigger picture for me still for the failed sub 3 attempt.

Thankfully weeks later I found out that my time gained at Marathon of the North still stood for a qualifying "Good For Age" time for the 2014 London Marathon. So this would be my next planned attack on the sub 3 target. So the time came round once again. On the 23rd December I started my 16 week marathon training for London. Being just after the Christmas parties, bang on Christmas and just before the new year the training got off to a cagey start but once new year has past it was full stream ahead with the training.
Then week 4 into the training disaster struck. After running a 6 mile warm up I attempted to marathon pace the Brass Monkey half marathon at marathon pace but within a couple of mile into that I felt my calf pop whilst springing off the road onto a kirb to overtake some runners. At this time the pain was only mild so I carried on but by mile 7 I had to retire and resorted to the run/walk strategy. Gutted but accepted that this was early on in the training with plenty of time to get sorted. So had a full week off running and came back the next Monday with a light treadmill run to test and all was ok. But by week 13 it caught up with me. The endless miles of marathon training had took its toll and I was out of action again. Made the hard decision to withdrawn for the marathon and defer until the following year, this April. 


So that brings me back to why I am writing this article in the first place. The big picture and my main aim for 2015 will be to smash the London Marathon. The Gold target will of course be the magic sub 3 but an absolute must will be a new personal best time so will need to sub 3:11. So for now I am going to work towards that. I now have a plan set in place with the usual structure of marathon training. The long run, speed work, tempo & marathon paced runs, medium long runs and more important recovery runs. I need to make it on the start line this year. London Marathon only allow you to defer once so I guess I should be saying my main aim should be to make that start line injury free and ready to go!














No comments:

Post a Comment