Pages

Saturday 3 January 2015

Another post from last year: The Road to Recovery

The Road to Recovery

For the first few days from injury I done nothing other than foam rolling and stretching my piriformis and hamstrings as instructed by the physio. The idea for this was just to get some movement from the core going again. Working more on the tender area of the glutes which can be felt if hitting the right spot. Days later I introduced light calf stretching. Pain free but the injured area was very tight. The stretching was needed to iron out any knots or scaring in the muscle as it was healing.
Thursday 27th March - This was my first bit of exercise in a week. Also my seventh day of no running. Starting to get itchy feet now. In another way though it's been nice getting in from work without having to worry about the usual midweek 10 miler or a speed session. So with no niggle or pain on my calf I decided to venture out on the bike. Nothing too intense. Just a gentle ride out. Michael asked me to accompany him round his 1 mile rep session so I biked to his, powered round the reps then back home again getting me 14 mile in. To be honest I didn't feel very worked but I kept the cycling intensity gentle and made sure I remained mostly on the seat so my quads and hamstrings done most of the work. Anyway got through this pain free which was the main thing.

Saturday 29th March - Set off out on the bike with the intentions of going out for at least an hour or so. Within 4 minutes I was back in the house. My arse was killing my from my previous cycle out and I just wasn't motivated at all. Cycling just isn't for me. Yeah its ok for a ride out with someone, or assist someone on their running but as for cross training or a main sport. No thanks!

Sunday 30th March - Not only did British Summertime begin but I also started to do calf strengthen exercises. Starting with 10 x 2 sets of seated raises. This felt quite easy so done the calf raises off a step with caution.

Monday 31st March - Started to self massage my calf to help with blood flow to the healing muscles. Still doing daily foam rolling along with the daily calf stretching.

Thursday 3rd April - After a few more days of the usual stretching and foam rolling 2 weeks was up. The minimum time had been taken out and I was still niggle free so I decided enough was enough and braved the Quakers Running Club 5k time trial session. Was actually a little nervous getting out again incase the worse happened. The session was at the South Park so I knew I could get a very slow warm up in prior to starting it. Felt strange to get going again a good bit of banter with some fellow runners on the way down kept my mind of it. Run down was fine so cracked on with the time trial with the intend of setting off very easy and work into it progressive pacing it Splits were:
1) 0.62m - 4:19(6:58/m) 83cal
2) 0.62m - 4:21(7:02/m) 85cal
3) 0.62m - 4:19(6:57/m) 85cal
4) 0.62m - 4:06(6:37/m) 85cal
5) 0.6m - 3:45(6:19/m) 80cal
More or less identical and steady first 3k then picked up last 2k vastly. I probably ran this a bit harder than what I should but I felt good and pressed on. Pleased with the 20:52 finishing time. Could feel I've lost some fitness but at the moment that's the least of my worries. I'm just glad to be back out again. I have no immediate A races for the time being so I'm in no rush to get back to where I was. Slow and steady progress to come. At time of writing this on Thursday evening legs are good but just going to rest for two days as don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Planning on running a slow 6-8 mile on Sunday. If that goes well then slowly start getting back to some normality next week with the running but keeping the miles down for now. So rest for the next 2 days with more stretching and foam roller.
Club Session - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/472957096

Sunday 6th April - I ventured out for 6 mile with Keedy keeping the pace nice and steady. Felt very sluggish but it also felt very mild out. Was my first Sunday run out since Trimpell 20 3 weeks ago. So not a bad run out but I've got a lot of work to do over the next few months to get in good shape for some up and coming A races before the year is out. A mere 11.7 mile ran this week with just 2 days of running but my weekly mileage will remain low for the time being until I'm fully convinced I'm 100% recovery and focus on QUALITY rather then quantity.
Today's run - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/474437684 

No comments:

Post a Comment