Pages

Saturday 3 January 2015

A post copied from last year regarding my London Marathon deferral

D-Day (Deferral Day)

Today I announced to my social network that I will be 100% pulling from this years Virgin London Marathon. Gutted but in another strange way it feels like I have had a weight lifted off my soldiers. My post was
"
A visit to the physio has confirmed I'm injured. Its also confirmed London Marathon is a definite no go So please take this update as a 100% deferral which I will be doing today. Its NO rash decision. Its NO excuse. Its called practicality.
I have a grade 1+ tear in my right calf and possible Medial tibial stress syndrome in the same area. Physio was confident my previous calf injury from back in January has not healed properly and with the overload of marathon training its finally bit me in the arse. So my advice to any runners with injury that think just "rest" works, don't be naive like I was and get it sorted. Its likely back then I've had a grade 2 tear and just having a week off with foam rolling I thought I sorted it.
What now? No running for 3 weeks. In meantime its a case of swimming or some other cross training to keep ticking over with hamstring, piriformis and glutes stretching to improve my movement or motion or something. A lot to take in on that appointment, head was baffled! Will maybe look at Mermaid 10k as a starting benchmark then work towards Leeds Abbey Dash in November as my "A" race.
Thanks to everyone that's been supportive. Lucky for you there will be no more training ‪#‎vmlm2014‬ updates. I wish everyone who is running it success. Everyone I know who is training and running it has graft and all deserve their PB's/Targets. I'm pissed off, envious and gutted I can't run London but I'm no hero, professional or superman I've mentally prepared myself for this and I'm in a positive frame of mind about it all. I'm going to enjoy the next few weeks off the running and enjoy a few nights out, time with family etc. I'm even going to work on a running blog to save these heavy running updates that get a bit tedious on here. There is more to life than worrying about my next training run. After that look forward, focus on coming back ‪#‎EvenStronger‬than before. Yes I said this for London Marathon but when marathon training takes over us as a runner can become stubborn and ignore tiredness, niggles and injuries. Time to recover, become stronger, get faster and absolutely smash London next year!
Right I need a drink!"

No comments:

Post a Comment