Pages

Sunday 21 June 2015

6 Years of Running. The Start & How It All Began

6 years to this day (Sunday 21st June 2009) I ran my first ever race at the Aycliffe 10k. Runners will understand how clearly you remember your first race. On the previous Thursday I heard about this race on the Quakers Running Club announcements. Described as a small, flat and friendly local race so I thought why not. I had only been running at QRC for a couple of weeks and didn't own a Garmin. Just my vest, some shoddy shorts and some scruffy old trainers. I remember at the end of the race nearly chucking up and needed fluids badly. But the accomplishment of taking part in your first race, no matter what the distance is the start of the racing bug. Then onwards I have ran parkruns, 5k's, 10'sk, half marathons, 20 mile, marathons, cross country, fell races, relay races, a beer mile and a 24 hour relay race. I've battled many Albert parkruns with Michael and Simon. Had many epic smackdowns with the vet Brian, Dale and Ewan. I have shared plenty of marathon training miles with Peter, Keedy, Gary, Monday group and many others. Battled hills with Scouse Dynamo Michael. Had some gut busting speed sessions with a good bunch from Quakers. Here is to my next journey as I attempt to conquer Amsterdam in October.

I've got 100's of photos from what I've participated in over the last 6 years. Below are a few of my favourites. I could add loads but here are a few.


My 2nd race @ Great North 10k 2010

Where the parkrun journey started at Albert Park parkrun

Clay Bank East fell race

Edinburgh Marathon 2012

Me and Charlotte running the Great North Run together

Cookie, Me & Boy Wonder @ Darlo parkrun

London Marathon

London Marathon


Darlington 10k 2009


Me receiving QRC 'Most Improved Athlete'
Northern Cross Country 2013

Trimpell 20 2011
Northern Cross Country 2013


Cross Country @ Whitby 2013

Me & Craig Downs @ Albert Park parkrun April 2013

Dean pacing me @ Redcar Half Marathon

Chris, Jonathan, MJ & Me @ Last years Adidas Thunder Run

The Beer Mile!

Last year @ The Great North Run

Me running a parkun pb (18:14) @ Albert Park 2 years ago. That pb still remains there!

Brass Monkey 2010

Brass monkey 2011

Carlton Bank Fell Race 2013

Carlton Bank Fell Race 2014

Me and Lucy negotiating the terrain at Clay Bank

Darlington 10k 2013

The cast of Emmerdale!

Guy Fawkes 10 2009

Possibly my first fell race at Guisbrough three tops

Another fell race

A severely hungover Hamsterley Forest 10k

Me and Keedy at Edinburgh Marathon

Hamsterley Forest Marathon last year

Leeds Abbey Dash 2012

Durham Dales Challenge 2010


A post marathon pint after gaining a pb @ Edinburgh Marathon 2012

Kilburn 7 just after my holiday in 2010

A post race beer after Marathon of the North 2013

A cold and snowy Albert Park parkrun

Mermaid 10k

Mulgrave Castle 10k last year

Stewart Park relays last year

Me a little too far at the front @ Richmond 10k 2010

My 1st marathon @ Edinburgh back in 2010

Spring Coast 5k

Team Dark training for our Thunder Run

Me and Peter training for Edinburgh marathon @ Trimpell 20 2011

Still my hardest running achievement to date, running 110k at the 2011 Adidas Thunder Run




and today I'm back to where it all started 6 years ago






























No comments:

Post a Comment